top of page
  • Writer's pictureTraci Moren

The Ancient Art of Cupping

A Therapeutic and Diagnostic Technique


Cupping, an ancient healing practice, has been employed by healers and individuals across various cultures for centuries. This suction technique is designed to draw out toxin buildup and muscle spasm from deep within the body to the surface of the skin.


Understanding Toxin Buildup and Energy Blockages

The body's cells rely on oxygen and release carbon dioxide. When the flow of energy is obstructed, waste products like carbon dioxide accumulate, leading to what is known as acid or toxin buildup. Blockages in the body's energy flow manifest as physical pain in specific areas. If toxins or waste stagnate in the muscles or joints, the body struggles to eliminate them, resulting in further discomfort and blockages.


Through the use of cupping techniques, practitioners can create a vacuum or suction to pull blockages from deep tissue to the skin's surface. Once on the skin's surface, the body can more easily eliminate toxins through the superficial blood supply or capillary system. In just ten minutes of cupping, not only can toxin buildup be removed from specific areas, but fresh blood can also be drawn into those areas, revitalizing and restoring proper blood flow.



bare back with 2 cups connected and one a practitioner is placing.

Cupping serves both diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. It reveals the location, nature, and severity of a problem. By observing the color changes under the cups, practitioners can determine the specific area and nature of the issue. Light or moderate blockages cause the skin to turn pink or red, while severe stagnation can lead to deeper coloration, which may take several days to disperse.


Managing Discomfort and Relaxation During Cupping Sessions

Although the cupping sensation may initially be slightly painful, it usually subsides after the first sixty seconds, during which most of the toxins are removed. Patients are encouraged to relax into the process and tolerate any discomfort, while breathing deeply and slowly. In some cases, patients may even doze off during the session.


Cupping for Respiratory Conditions in Children

Cupping can also be used to treat respiratory conditions such as pneumonia or asthma in children. Small cups are applied to break up phlegm congestion in the lungs, and children typically tolerate this treatment well when held securely by a parent.


The number of cupping rounds needed depends on the extent of blockage. The process can remove up to 80% of the blockage in the first round, with the remaining 20% cleared in the second round. For those regularly exposed to toxins, more frequent cupping sessions may be necessary to maintain a toxin-free state.


In conclusion, cupping is an exceptional technique with immediate effects. It can significantly shorten the healing process and address energy blockages in ways that traditional methods cannot. With its ability to provide both therapeutic relief and diagnostic insights, cupping stands as a powerful and time-tested healing modality.






Copyright Susan Johnson, L.Ac. 2006


Comments


bottom of page